Friday, May 20, 2005

Not another Blogger?!

Welcome! I’m glad you found this space. Of course, the three of you who are probably reading this were forced into it (thanks mom, dad, shell). This is really going to sound selfish, but this blog is more for me than it is for you. I think there is something therapeutic about expressing your opinions for the entire world to read – even if only three people actually do read it.

I caught the public opinion bug a couple of years ago as a guest host (both “guest” and “host” are used liberally here) on a local sport radio station (“sports” used liberally here as well). Richard Hunter, of the P1 Wild Ass Circus fame (1310 AM KTCK) invited me, and several others, on to help co-host a new radio format. I will save those memories for later posts, but needless to say, the idea of talking to millions, ok thousands, or at least hundreds of people at once was thrilling. It couldn’t have come at a better time for me – smack dab in the middle of a Presidential campaign (definitely more about that topic later).

I plan on using this forum as an extension of that radio opportunity to express my worldviews. I don’t suppose any topic is off limits. I intend to waste some space on politics, religion, sports (especially local to Dallas), family, morality, corporate life, music and whatever else tickles my fancy. And as always, I intend to interject just a little bit of common sense into things. And by that, you can assure yourself that there will be very little political correctness on my part – the bane of all common sense.

I don’t know if Albert Einstein said it best when he said, “Common sense is the collection of prejudices collected by age eighteen.”

Or if Gertrude Stein was right in that, “Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense.”

With all do respect to Mr. Relativity, I tend to disagree with Albert and agree with Gertrude. I think I have changed dramatically in my views since the age eighteen. Even though Mrs. Stein made her statement some 60 years ago, it probably is truer today than ever.

Well, that’s it in the way of introductions. I suppose I will come up with something contentious to say pretty soon - if for no other reason, than to hear myself talk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you on the comment made by Gertrude...like I said, you have no common sense left...it will be interesting reading what you write in the future on here, although, I am sure I could tell you what you think on all these subjects before you write them here and I can assure you I have heard them all before! But that is ok, now I will be able to write my opinions back to you!!

porchwise said...

Common sense tells me that SHELL has little of it when he makes statements like 'I am sure I could tell you what you think, etc. My common sense tells me he's letting his ego overload his keyboard. I'll be checking in on your blog because someone I don't know always has something I don't know, whether I need to know it or not. Good luck.