Thursday, September 29, 2005

Thoughts for the day

The ‘Great Storm of 05’ came through my area last night - serious rain, thunder and enough lightning to knock my power off for over an hour. The power going off was not a major deal for me at first. I actually enjoyed the darkness and semi-quiet for a bit. That is, until the kids got over their initial excitement and became bored. So, I did what any father would do, I loaded the Wiggles into my laptop’s DVD player for some instant entertainment.

Now, of all nights, this was the night my insurance agent was suppose to come over for me to sign new insurance documents. He shows up around 7:45 or so and my wife and I start signing by candlelight. I’m pretty sure we were authorizing new coverage for our house and car, but given the poor lighting, I may have sold my oldest son to a goat farmer in Iraq – not sure. I’m either saving $60 a month or receiving 60 goats in exchange. I guess only time will tell.

The electricity came back on around 9 – thanks to those hard working Reliant, or is it TXU workers (I never really know where my electricity comes from). I immediately turned the thermostat down to 72 to make up for lost time. I suppose by doing this I am responsible for another child dying over in Iraq for President Bush’s oil – but hey, I’m a Republican. I’m supposed to be a heartless consumer of scarce natural resources. Shortly after the house cooled down, I went outside and shot a few spotted owls.

One final thought for they day. This doesn’t really go with the first story, but not significant enough to warrant its own space. Is it just me, or is it really rude to talk on the phone while you’re in a public restroom? Not standing at the urinal mind you, but sitting in the stall. This incident occurred this morning at work – and it just really struck me as odd.

No comments: