Thursday, January 19, 2006

1969 Penny

Do you ever look at your change? You know – the shiny or not so shiny round things in your pocket or “piggy bank”. Well, I did recently. It was a penny. I don’t know why I looked at it, but I did. President Lincoln’s face was stamped on it in 1969. It has a dull brown look to it – nothing like the shiny copper of more recent vintage. For whatever reason, the age of this penny got me to thinking about all that has happened in its life. I wonder how many “owners” it has had. Millions perhaps – maybe just a few. Maybe it has spent most of its life under some old lady’s mattress, only recently to resurface after she past away and her grandson put it back into circulation – who knows.

That 1969 penny has a story to tell. In God We Trust, Liberty, Out of Many, One. They all say something about America - Americans. There is a reason why so many want to come here and so few want to leave. Despite what some people may want you to believe, American is a pretty cool place – and Americans do some pretty amazing things in this world. If that 1969 penny could talk, I bet it would have one heck of a story to tell.

No comments: