Monday, August 29, 2005

"Support our Troops"?

I have generally been in a pretty laid back mood lately. Things are going well at work. My boys are healthy (if not well-behaved…oh, the terrible two’s), and my wife is learning to cook! So, although there has been a lot to talk about in the current events section this past week or so, nothing has really risen to the level of blog-worthy for me. Until this

There is something sickeningly hypocritical about claiming to “support the troops” while protesting the troops outside the hospital where they are recovering from their wounds. But yet, that is what each of these protestors say when interviewed, they do in fact “support the troops” - But they hold up sings that say “Maimed for lies” and “Die for Halliburton”. I would be interested in knowing what type of “support” the troops get from those posters.

Its not that I am the final arbiter of what is appropriate anti-war speech and what isn’t. But it seems to me that there are ample ways to get across you anti-war sentiment without disparaging the President or more importantly the troops. I don’t see anything wrong with “Bring our Troops Home” or “Give Peace a Chance”. After all, who doesn’t want the troops home in a time of peace?

It was good to see some counter-protests this weekend. I hope we get more of these around the country as the closet conservatives/closet patriots come out from their hiding and make their voices of support heard. We complain about the media’s constant coverage of the wacky left’s protests, all the while we sit at home and keep quiet. Lets not keep quiet anymore and at least see where that road leads us.

No comments: